Friday, September 19, 2014

LiveSTRONG

I can't believe that they asked me to do this.  What were they thinking?  I have worked the front desk.  That's it.  Cleaned a little bit but my title has always been "Sally, Member Services."   And then they asked,  "Would you be a co-coach for our LiveSTRONG program at the Y?"  

What?  Who?  Me?   Details?   Lance?  Cancer?  Survivors?  Coach?  Encourage? Strengthen? ME???

Okay, I'll do it...


That was about 6 months ago.   In those few months Brad, my co-coach, and I learned what it meant to be a cancer survivor.  We learned words like lymphedema,  melanoma, immunocompromised, benign and malignant.  We were taught about balance and neuropathy, strength and toning, living and dying.

We sat through trainings that inspired us to be the best coaches that we could be.  But we struggled to find survivors that believed in us.  We put up posters, we made phone calls, we talked with members and slowly we had our group.  

The intake process is lengthy but ever so important.  This is where we found out THE TYPE.  We meet with our participants one on one and we asked questions.  And as easily it is to remember your birthdate, it was as easy to rattle off the diagnosis date, the type, the doctors, the medicines, the stuff that worked and the stuff that didn't.  My first intake took over an hour.    Others took just as long but this initial step, this seemingly routine step of asking questions, formed the bond that our instructors spoke of during training.  (You don't easily shrug off the intimate stories they shared.)   

I cried.  With every story, I cried.  All of their stories were different but in some ways the same.   I wanted to know everything about them.  I would find myself listening to them and forgetting to write the information down.  Stories such as,  "I found my breast cancer by just raising my arm and feeling a bump."  "It's JUST skin cancer."  "I beat breast cancer three times and when I tell people that, they look to see where my third breast is at!!!"  Each member told their stories and I cried.  And while we were wiping our tears, we were becoming friends.  

Not many people would be eager to have a physical assessment done after admitting to leading a sedentary life for so long.  But not our class.  They were ready.  Ok, maybe it took a little cajoling to get them going but they did it.  Some were okay with their findings while the others were ready to take on the challenge.  Our goal was simple: To see an improvement of strength and balance by the end of the 12 week program.  Twelve weeks, 2 times a week, 90 minutes per class.  

Brad and I were feeling a little overwhelmed.  But as determined as our class was, we had to be!  We quickly found out that they loved the water!  As did I!!!  Our water instructor welcomed us and we began meeting with her one day and we did strength conditioning on our other day.

The twelve weeks seemed to go by so quickly.   I would have never imagined how quickly the time would go but it did.  We learned they loved new things!  Zumba!  Chair yoga! Pilate rings! Weights!  I was really amazed at their eagerness to learn!

Our post assessments showed great results.  Our friends all gained improvement in all areas and it was so funny to see how confident, almost cocky they were during the tests!  Hilarious and AMAZING at the same time!  They were excited, happy, thrilled and proud!  

This past Monday, Brad and I celebrated with our first class at a graduation party.   Yellow and black LiveSTRONG colors everywhere.  Balloons, streamers, banners, subs, cupcakes and hugs all around!  To see their smiles, to hear their stories, to be a part of their family...that's why we do LiveSTRONG at the Y. Brad and I are so proud to be a new chapter in their cancer story.  





No comments:



________________
Add this to your site

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed