Friday, October 3, 2008

That quick...

So I am driving home tonight from all of the activities of the day and all of a sudden a thought/nudge/warning/reminder comes into my head: It all could be over in an instant. I need to pull over to the side of the road to pray about that thought. What could be over? Events of the week flash through my head...The SUV that struck a bus and the passengers both perished, the young man who was hit by a car and killed due to a drug deal gone bad, even the thought of our friend traveling to the islands of Turks and Caicos to help a family who have lost close to everything due to Hurricane Ike.

All of these events happened in an instant.

Lives were changed in an instant.

Families were devastated in an instant.

How does this affect me?

Because I am taking life for granted. I just get up everyday and think I'll be home every night. I say goodbye to my kids knowing that I will be there to pick them up after school. I wave goodbye to my husband as he rides to work, knowing that we will be together that evening. I jump in the van and do my chores without cause for concern for my safety.

I don't pause to pray for our safe return. I don't act like it could be our last moment together.

I don't believe in living my life in fear. I know that ultimately God is in control of my life and those of my family. But I also know that I need to stop taking my life, my family, my friends for granted. I need to constantly remind them how much I love them and that I care for them deeply. I need to be in prayer for them as well...for all of their needs.

I have written in the past how fast paced our lives are and that I don't want it to be over too fast. I believe that this is just yet another reminder from my Heavenly Father to just slow it down.

No comments:



________________
Add this to your site

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed